Northern Private Hospital
Ramsay Health Care is building a brand-new, purpose built, hospital in Epping, 18km from Melbourne’s CBD.
Northern Private Hospital will be co-located with the 500-bed public Northern Hospital. The hospitals will be physically connected via a link bridge, enabling the two health facilities to develop and operate synergistic service models and allowing patients and doctors to move easily between the two hospitals as required.
With demand in the northern suburbs of Victoria forecasted to grow exponentially over upcoming years, a private health care offering is a welcome and important addition to the booming growth corridor North of Melbourne.
Northern Private Hospital will ensure the growing community can access high quality private healthcare close to home, whilst providing specialists and healthcare professionals new opportunities.
Northern Private Hospital will provide services in medical, surgical, and mental health care, including:
- Bariatric / obesity surgery
- Ear, Nose & Throat surgery
- Facio-maxillary surgery
- General medicine
- General surgery (including Breast, Endocrine, Upper GI and Colorectal sub-specialties)
- Oncology and Haematology (including Day Chemotherapy)
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Pain medicine
- Plastic surgery
- Psychiatry/ mental health
- Renal medicine
- Respiratory medicine
- Sleep studies
- Spinal surgery
- Vascular surgery
- The City of Whittlesea’s population is forecast to grow by 71% between 2018 and 2041 to over 382,000.
- Thriving privately insured patient catchment with patients who currently travel significant distances, including into central Melbourne for private health care, thus demanding a convenient local service.
- The hospital will also service those patients who wish to self-insure their care
- The Northern Hospital has over 105,000 presentations annually through the Emergency Department. Department of Health and Human Services activity projections indicate demand for Northern Health’s ED services will grow by 50% and inpatient services by 60% between 2016 and 2031.
- Victoria also remains the fastest-growing state in the country with the population expected to reach 11.2 million by 2056.
Timeline, Staging & Facilities
Northern Private Hospital will be constructed over several stages, with stage 1A being commissioned February 2024. The expansion plans below are indicative, with development able to be fast tracked in line with community and service demand.
- Link bridge connection to Northern Hospital
- 4 Operating Theatres (including 1 Hybrid Theatre)
- 1 Cardiac Catheter Lab
- 74 Inpatient Beds servicing Surgical, Medical and Mental Health services
- Sleep Study Unit
- 10-chair Day Chemotherapy Unit
- Mental Health Day Programs
- Consulting Suites – Sessional & Leased
- Medical Imaging
- Additional 15 overnight beds
- Additional 36 overnight beds
- Additional 2 Operating Theatres
The long-term vision of the hospital includes an Emergency Department, additional Operating Theatres and Cath Lab, an Intensive Care Unit and additional ward beds. It will be complemented by Ramsay Health Care’s suite of Out-Of-Hospital Services.